What's the difference between a 12" pizza and an artist?
... The pizza can feed a family.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Do you trust your dentist? by Chris

So I have a complicated relationship with my dentist. When I first walked into his office I saw a sign hanging on the wall that reads: We cater to cowards. Now that is my type of dentist! When you sit down you are given a pair of sunglasses which is certainly so that the cute nurse won’t see the look of terror in your eyes when you see the cane-sized needle come out on that shiny metal tray.

I always had to remind my previous dentist that I needed an extra dose of anesthetic because I have a unique condition where it doesn’t work on me quite as well as normal people. He seemed to think you should give a patient one dose until they get a zap and then you can give them a second after a tear rolls down their cheek. I was willing to be numb enough to swallow my tongue if it meant I didn’t have to feel a thing when it was drill time. In fact I am in favor of being put out totally for my dental work. Now why isn’t that an option yet?

My new dentist has an amazing gift. I honestly don’t feel a thing, not even a pinch when that needle disappears into my gums. He is very arrogant but it is a type of arrogance that is very reassuring. When your dentist removes a crown placed there by someone else, sneers at the shape of the tooth underneath, and points out the flaws of the previous dentist’s technique to his nurse you feel you are in good hands.

He wields his drill with the confidence and speed of an old western gunslinger and smiles down at his completed artistry. He needs no pat on his back because you can tell that he is very aware of his standard of quality.

“Wow!” Says the nurse (possibly prompted to make such remarks),” That looks better than what I saw demonstrated in school. You are the king of root canals Dr.”

(sigh of agreement from the dentist)

So, obviously I like him and I like his work but here is the flip side. He can’t stand the site of an old-school metal filling. He is determined to remove all metal from my mouth and replace it with beautiful state of the art tooth-colored resin (or whatever it is). He blabs on about how the new stuff doesn’t contract and expand because of temperature and it is not carcinogenic like the old metal fillings, but I can see in his eyes that he is just disgusted at seeing anything in one of his patient’s mouths that looks old and clunky. He wants my mouth to be Lexus or Mercedes quality when I am fine with a Camry level of dental work.

How do you really know if replacing a filling is the best choice? A tooth tends to die when it has gone through too much trauma. Is it better to have an old rusty filling that seems to be doing its job satisfactorily, or a nice tight new filling that soon makes the tooth die and need a root canal? I doubt he would say that is the case but it doesn’t seem like a coincidence that my wife and I are needing lots of root canals lately.

I received my first root canal just a few weeks ago and now the tooth right next to the last one is starting to ache the same way. I question if the decay he planted there at my last visit has taken hold (please see attached Eddie Izzard video).

So what type of dentist is better, The car mechanic dentist that tells you every little thing that you need to fix as though it’s all going to fall apart if you don’t do it right away or the dentist that understands you don’t always need to launch a preemptive attack against every dental concern until there is actually a real concern.

If I were filthy rich I would just have all of my teeth replaced with beautiful porcelain veneers, but I’m not. I can only handle one small thing at a time.

I have been giving in to pressure and getting all the work done that he recommends and it has been damn expensive. I have one more crown until I have my Mercedes mouth but now all these root canals are coming up and I feel like I’ll never get my teeth in perfect condition.

I don’t know if I really trust him but he’s fast and very good at what he does. Does anybody else face this sort of dilemma?

I decided to attach my two favorite comedy bits on Dentistry. Eddie Izzard is my all-time favorite comedian. I almost cry every time I watch this. Be aware that there is some language at about 3:20. You might want to just watch up until that point. Bill Cosby’s bit on Dentistry should be in the comedy Hall of Fame. It is classic stuff. Please enjoy.


6 comments:

Melissa said...

Aaah, dentists. Gotta hate 'em. Well, at least I do. The one we had in We Jo was by far the worst of the worst. He would see a spec on a screen and say you needed a filling. Even if it was just dust. Once he CALLED Ivan and said, "I was just looking at your x-rays, and I saw something..." Yeah, that's right, he had so much spare time he was just going through old x-rays, trying to make a buck off some unsuspecting sucker.

The dentist we have now is awesome. If something is wrong, he will tell us, but I don't feel like he is recommending procedures just so he can make some money. If he tells us we need something, I trust him. I'll do it. With the other guy, I was always dodging his phone calls. He was NUTSO.

Your dentist sounds like an amazingly talented narcisisst. (Yeah, I don't know how to spell, but whatever) I'm glad you're getting what you need, pain-wise. I just try to keep as far away from my dentist as humanly possible :)

Great post!

Lori Ann said...

Oh man, this is one of my favorite topics!My teeth are WRETCHED! (Damn you, jolly ranchers!) Anyway, the last dentist I went to, she was the same age as me and Russian. She did the x-rays, came in and said "What have you done to your teeth?" So, I started crying. Anyway, once we got past that, she was great, we set up like a 6 part plan to get my teeth in shape and she was fast and nice.

As to your question, I have to side with the overly insane dentist, just because I don't think you can spend too much money on your teeth. Better to be proactive than reactive!

If I were ever on Oprah and got to make a wish or something, I would wish to go to an amazing dentist, get knocked out for the whole day and have everything fixed, replaced, and whitened:) Wouldn't that be amazing??

KEEP POSTING, YOU TWO!!! I LOVE IT!!

Frequently Thinking said...

Eastern Corn Chowder
• 5 slices bacon
• 1 medium onion
• 2 potatoes, diced
• water
• 2 cups milk reconstituted
• 1 cup white sauce mix
• 1 can cream style corn (17 oz)
• 1 tsp salt
• pepper to taste
In your pot, cook your bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside. Drain off most grease, leave enough to brown onion in. After onion is browned, add potatoes & enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes- until potatoes are cooked.
While your potatoes are cooking, in a separate sauce pan, combine the milk & white sauce milk over med heat until thick & smooth. Pour into potato mix. Add corn, salt, pepper. Cook 10 more minutes. Serve.
I like to garnish with crumbled bacon or grated cheese.


I cannot relate to your fear of the dentist but I can understand the silliness of wanting to replace all your metal with porcelain. Does every dentist have this undying desire to get rid us of metal and give us all movie start teeth?
Love the comedians…so stink’n funny.

Dave said...

When I was in Pittsburgh I went to get a filling. He told me we could either do it with metal or white composite, and said that he preferred doing white composite. Since I figured there was no difference besides an aesthetic one, I told him to go ahead and do the white composite. What they only informed me of AFTER the fact, when my mouth was throbbing with pain, was that if any moisture gets into a white composite filling during the procedure you are going to need a root canal. Teeth in the back of the mouth are apparently very hard to keep moisture out of when performing a filling.

I don't know if this is a scam or not that they've got going, but any good dentist (or doctor for that matter) is going to give you all the information about a procedure, pros and cons, and let you make the decision. If he's making the decisions for you, then something is not right.

Chris said...

Hmmmm... Now you really got me thinking Dave. That's a really convenient detail to leave out (The moisture getting under the filling). Now I'm much more suspicious. I just got that second root canal and he said he was "worried" about the tooth on the other side of the original RC.

I just want a dentist who knows how to do his stuff but has no incentive to do anything that doesn't need doing. Isn't there a solution for that?

Emmy said...

Once at the dentist I went from having my teeth cleaned, saying they look great and wonderful; to the dentist coming in saying I was probably going to need two crowns, etc. etc.

Well I switched dentists, I did need on crown (as one of those evil old fillings had fallen off) but the other was just a tiny tiny cavity.