What's the difference between a 12" pizza and an artist?
... The pizza can feed a family.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Moving is a bitch!

On August 25th we put our house on the market. We've been really happy in our current home, but we know it's just a matter of time before we outgrow it, and with the boys getting bigger we really want to have a yard. Our thinking was that with the housing market the way it is IF we could find a buyer, we'd be in a sweet position to buy. My hopes were low, but because we weren't in a desperate situation where we were being forced to move, we were fully prepared to wait months for the right offer to come along. My feelings changed as I realized what a huge pain it is to have your home on the market, keeping it not just clean but "show-ready" all the time with a toddler and a preschooler underfoot was near impossible. Also, because I don't have a car I'd always pack the kids in the stroller and take off to the park during the two to three hour window the agents would give me to show the house only to have them show up late just as I was putting the kids down to nap. This happened often and I found it infuriating!

In the middle of September we received an offer. By the time we were done negotiating counteroffers it was September 22, and part of the buyer's conditions were that we be out by October 1st. Say what?! So that basically gave us 8 days to find a home, make an offer on a home, arrange for a place to live until our new home is ready, pack up, find a storage unit, and move. Crazy! And it's not like we were able to put life on hold while we took care of business. We both still had to work and take care of the boys, although I fear they have been seriously neglected during the past week and a half. (Thank goodness for Nick Jr.)

I've been equating the stress and pain of moving to that of child birth. When you're in the midst of it you're thinking, "Why the hell did I do this to myself!?! This sucks!! I'm miserable! NEVER AGAIN!!!" But once you're all settled into your nice new home (or you're holding that precious new baby in your arms) you forget all the pain and you truly don't remember its intensity until you're going through it again. The problem is, I'm still waiting for my baby! We're currently at the mercies of the good graces of my mom and dad who have taken us in until we can close on our new home. The boys are loving it. I'm afraid they'll never want to leave! But obviously Chris and I are anxious (probably not as anxious as my parents) to have our own place again.

Our new home will be in Herriman. We're going to keep a bunch of $5.00 gas cards on hand to give to anyone kind enough to come visit us because man is it far! I never thought we would be so far west. But we looked at a ton of places and for our price range it was the best home for our money. And it really only adds 10 minutes to our commute each way. It's in a great neighborhood with a huge park right across the street and a library, gym, grocery store, gas station, and restaurants all within walking distance. We're really excited.

I want to give a huge shout out to those who helped us during this crazy move!
1. To Julie and Mike who, when I asked if we could live with them for a few weeks, didn't even hesitate to say yes, even when they thought that it could be as long as three months. They are really sacrificing the comfort and routine of their normal lives to accommodate our family and we really appreciate it! My mom provided endless hours of babysitting while I packed and moved, and my dad helped us move some stuff to the house on Tuesday.
2. To our dear friends Pedro and Paula who helped us pack and took time off of work on Tuesday to spend the entire day helping us move.
3. To our friend and favorite babysitter Alex who spent lots of time helping me pack and taking care of the kids. On Monday night when I was the most stressed she took the boys to the park and to Jungle Jim's and on Tuesday she stayed home from school to help us load the moving van and clean the house. She vacuumed the entire house for me.
4. To Judy and Terry for watching the boys Sunday afternoon.
5. To Robin for watching the boys while we house hunted.

We could not have done it without you all so thank you!!! And please let us know when we can return the favor!! If you're upset that you didn't make the list, don't worry, we'll be needing many more kind hearted volunteers to lend a hand when we move into our new home. :)

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Moving...yuck, not fun. But it will be so worth it to be in a place you love. I want to see pictures of your new house. Sorry we weren't helpful...I actually just moved into my room at the new school all day yesterday. I think I would rather move a house than a school, I think there would be better rewards and not so many hands in the pot. PS-Now that you are close, can we PLEASE get together?

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you have a blog! Yes, moving really sucks! I'm sorry you aren't in your new home yet and will have to move again. By the way, Herriman is pretty far out but you (and hopefully your family and friends) will get used to it.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I hope you don't mind I added you blog to my blog list. I love to keep up with blogs.

Andrew Lambert said...

Can't wait to see the new place. It'll be fun having you closer to us here in Riverton. Lily will enjoy coming to play.

doug said...

Herriman! Wow! Well - when I'm home for Christmas, can I come see it? I can't believe it - Chris and Shannon with two kids and a house in Herriman. Congratulations! I wonder if I'll ever be a grown-up like you guys...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure we'll end up out there in Herriman with you guys when we get around to actually moving (hopefully by next summer--which, by the way, is what I said last year about this time). Can't wait to see your new place!

Anonymous said...

I just tagged you on my blog. Check it out, as if you don't have anything else going on right now!

lavitadajessica said...

Ahhhh Shannon! I moved about the same time that you did. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to move with 2 kids. You are a trooper! I can't wait to see pics of your new place. I miss you so much.