What's the difference between a 12" pizza and an artist?
... The pizza can feed a family.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Judgment Day: Why I think God Has His Work Cut Out For Him written by Chris

Disclaimer: This ended up being a really long post. So you might not want to bother continuing if you don’t have a few minutes. I won’t be offended I promise. I need to keep practicing the art of the quick blog post I know. Anyway, don’t take anything too seriously. I just think it’s fun to think about this stuff.

One thing that I have always felt good about in my religious tradition is the belief in a truly compassionate, father-like God. A just, unbiased lawgiver who cares about everyone equally (the parable of the shepherd going after the few lost sheep comes to mind). It is so much easier to connect with a god who just understands everything perfectly. He has experienced everything and has perfect empathy for your situation. He can see the big picture and he knows when and where you have gone wrong and is interested in helping you find the correct path.

I have read about the various gods worshipped in the temple religions of the ancient world and they seem so emotionally detached and unconcerned with their loyal followers. They come across as very egocentric, requiring only demonstrable admiration and reverence. Interestingly enough personal morality was not even a requirement of the ancient polytheistic religions of the Middle East, nor the Aztec and Mayan religions, the early Hindu religion, or even the folk religions of Asia. These gods mostly just wanted to have lots of rituals performed and lots of animals killed and eaten by a devoted priesthood on their behalf. This was all that was needed to please them. They did not, for the most part, really care if you thought impure thoughts, lied, stole or dealt unjustly with your neighbor. This seemed so strange to me when I first read about it since I assumed that all religion has always been, in some way, about self-purification or refining your personal character to conform to a more celestial standard. Apparently I was wrong.

I’ve always been pleased with my understanding that god is personally involved with my progressive journey through life as well as the life of every one of his children. I was taught that he is not distant and unconcerned, nor is he interested in having his ego stroked by redundant rituals.

Part of God’s role is also to be a perfect judge. He is the only one qualified for the role because he’s the only one who has all the evidence. Many religions share the belief that after this life there will be an answering for your actions; A weighing of your good deeds against your bad, an evaluation of the purity of your heart, and then a consequential reward or punishment based off of your test scores. Often times the subjective nature of right and wrong becomes so unclear that we are happy to declare that we are unqualified to judge other people’s actions (judge not that ye be not judged). God is the only one who can see the situation in all of its complexity and make an appropriate verdict and we’ll leave him to it.

But compare the type of Judge that God is to say, a common judge that we would find in one of our court buildings. One of these judges is probably not declaring verdicts based off of a familial love for those on trial and a sincere desire for their future happiness. In fact we might be angered to discover that a judge is acting on such bias. I would assume that he would be more concerned with the safety of everyone else in society who might be endangered by the criminal’s possible future actions.

So how can God actually be totally empathetic with all of his children? Where does he draw the line and hold an individual accountable apart from the preconditions and involuntary factors that have contributed to their choices and personality? For example let’s say someone commits a murder motivated by racism. How much more is the situation complicated (for a loving judge) if it is performed by someone who has been indoctrinated since birth with the idea that it is God himself who has declared (in scripture) that violence is justified against certain groups of people? Is it then forgiven? Is part of it forgiven? Does he get any points for honorably observing the rules of God as he knows them, or nothing for just being flat wrong in the end?

Now, to further illustrate this dilemma, think of some of the most despicable sinners you can envision such as pedophiles, rapists, murderers, thieves, adulterers etc. We don’t need to speculate what awaits them after judgment do we? If the kids who shot up all those students in Columbine don’t have a world of hurt waiting for them in the next life then there is no real justice right? We may be wrong on some of the small things but truly evil acts are easy to spot and identify right? They happen to good people, and they are carried out heartlessly. They are chaotic in nature and make us feel powerless and afraid.

Imagine, for a moment, what the back story of one of these villains might be. How were they raised? What type of a home did they come from? What was their relationship with their parents like? Has their view of the world been molded in any way by anything a family member or peer has impressed upon them? Have they been raised in a racist culture? What about their biology? Have there been any chemical abnormalities that they have had to deal with or handicaps that limit their judgment? What about their ability to empathize? Are there any imperfections in their brain? Are they chemically depressed? How have these chemical imbalances influenced their view of the world? Did their mothers smoke or drink while they were developing? What other characteristics have been involuntarily chiseled into their genetic makeup by past ancestors?

Epigenomes, for example, record information such as how well your great, great grandfather ate as a child. That information is passed through to your DNA and your chemicals and appetites are adjusted based off of that information in order to increase your posterity’s chances of survival. Sometimes however within a short period of time our situations change dramatically and we are still programmed to get a lot of something if given the opportunity because it should (theoretically) be in short supply such as sex and food. Your desire for these things is strongly influenced by the living circumstances of your ancestors. If you struggle with your appetites it is, in part, because of these influences in your genetic makeup.

I’m not saying it is justified to indulge in these things, only that it complicates a truly fair judgment of your soul. Can an individual be judged apart from these factors? If not then it seems that your post mortal inheritance is a matter of how the dice fall for you. Guess what? You lack the brain function to properly empathize and relate with others. You are what we call a Sociopath. Enjoy hell. If god still loves the “real” you in the next life you can bet the victims you killed will be giving you the cold shoulder.

To me it often seems that the people we want most to rot in hell tend to be people who have been very unhappy and tortured during their existence. They may have succeeded in their efforts to destroy the happiness of others but the consequences of these actions (even during life) will not decrease their anxiety or personal conflict. Is festering hatred a form of suffering? Destructive behavior reflects such inward traits as fear, shame, hurt, or powerlessness. For whatever poor reasoning a villain might give for their actions, I’m pretty sure they, like everyone else, are trying to define happiness on their own terms and see their actions as justified based on their definition. We can hate them for their ignorance but how does God see them knowing exactly where that ignorance took root?

Do you ever catch yourself condemning someone who has just made really bad decisions? Does a chain-smoker, for instance, who forks out wads of cash every day to continue his habit, the whole while decreasing his over-all health and quality of life, really need our judgments on top of his own self-inflicted punishment? After suffering through lung cancer does God really need to give him an additional kick in the pants for disrespecting his bodily temple? Hasn’t he reaped the reward of his ignorance? Maybe somebody warned him that smoking leads to unhappiness and addiction before he lit his first stick but did he really know how foolish the decision was at that time? He was ignorant true, but wasn’t his flawed reasoning really attempting to secure future happiness, perhaps through acceptance by his peers?

I am not necessarily trying to justify wicked actions (BTW I don’t think smokers are wicked) but if you are like me, you probably think “It’s a good thing that god has the ability to take everything into consideration before making a judgment. I’ll just leave it to him to work out.”

But where do all those preconditions end and where do you (the one on trial) begin? How far does God have to dive into your background check files before deciding to try you as a spiritual adult? At what point can he say “you should know better.”

To complicate things further I think we should also recognize the influence of a force of unperceived, evil beings bent on our destruction who have the ability to influence our actions, or at least provoke situations and thoughts that target our vulnerabilities. If an evil spirit is tempting one person, doesn’t that mean that he isn’t tempting someone else? How does God look upon individuals who made a mistake based off of enormous unrelenting pressures from Satan’s followers while someone else is ignored? I think this would complicate things even more for God. You can’t say that in his final judgment he wouldn’t take into consideration the fact that some people are pummeled with Satanic temptations while some are not? Whose actions are on trial? yours or your tempters? I get the idea that Satan isn’t that concerned with tempting everyone in a fair, even-handed manner. But if God is to correct the chaos brought by Satan, his judgment must accommodate those tested unfairly. Is it better when you think a sinful thought or when it is placed in your mind from Satan? How come we seem totally capable of coming up with bad ideas unassisted (not that we can judge which ideas those are)? You might respond that the only thing that matters is your response to the temptation wherever it comes from but wouldn’t it be a tougher test for someone who is receiving more temptation?

Many of these thoughts may ring of cognitive dissonance. There may be no way of knowing if there is any substance to these ideas and they are quite possibly all bull crap. There is probably a simple explanation that could clear up all confusion on the matter and I’m sure at least one reader will have all the answers. Personally, I feel that it is still important to allow ourselves the freedom to explore such issues. I disagree with the idea that curiosity is dangerous. I think we should always be asking questions, even the ones that we know will more than likely never be answered. I even think we should ask questions that challenge and test the firmest beliefs we have. Sometimes it makes them stronger.

I don’t have a clue about how god judges people (Big surprise I know). I don’t know that he even does except for what I read in scripture and am told by prophets. Apparently it’s not that big of a concern that we know the details. Perhaps it’s for the best. What prophets do tell us is that God loves us and has the perspective to understand what really matters for us in the long run. He promises the most fulfilling and lasting happiness imaginable to us if we stretch ourselves. That is at least a very comforting idea.

Anyway I hope I didn’t waste your time if you were under the impression that this rambling post was leading somewhere. Sometimes it’s interesting to consider things from a different perspective though isn’t it?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I loved this post. I like that you and Brandy are writing such insightful posts. It really makes me think.

I have no idea about judgment either. If I were to simplify my thoughts I would say that God will measure the good you did, the happiness you gave others, the intentions that you had against any negative you brought into this world. Almost like a balancing scale.

Who knows?

I love these kind of blogs! Keep posting.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

I also really appreciated this post. The bit about some of us getting extra attention from the adversary really stood out to me.

I think most people judge me to softly and I expect God to be very very disappointed. Just feeling so ... unworthy and confused, but this post makes me a little more hopeful. And yet, I still worry about the "where much is given, much is required" caveat.

I try so hard... why is it hard for some to just accept things?

Emmy said...

Good thoughts.. I guess I have never thought about it that much before. I do know that when I worked for DCFS, if it was coming time to terminate a parents right I was always torn. I needed to protect the kids, but especially as a member of the church, who was I to say a parent could never change. But all at the same time, how long do we let the kids suffer in order to give the parents a chance to change. It was hard, I was glad to retire. :)

Mishel said...

I'm always hesitant about having these kinds of discussions not face to face- they seem to require a dialogue rather than posts. I feel like I have a flood of thoughts/responses and getting them to a point that makes sense is difficult, but I'm going to try- bear with me.

You're post reminded me of one of my chapters in Alma, Alma 42. Usually, and don't read into this more than that I find it interesting and comforting, most of the "different perspectives" that people have asked me to consider are things I've come across while reading scriptures or siting in a gospel class- sometimes things are pointed out and sometimes I have questions.

Side note: Asking questions is good. But we have to ask in faith. 1 Nephi 15:11. Most of the Doctrine and Covenants was revealed by Joseph Smith asking questions, recognizing that there were things that he didn't understand. I think that questions sometimes make us feel empowered, "That's right! I'm not conforming, I'm questioning this system!", when we need to be truly humble about it, that's when we learn- or at least recognize that maybe we're not quite ready to learn. D&C 19:22-23 talks about how some mysteries are withheld because we're not ready to be held accountable, it's one more form of mercy. Asking questions is important, my biology teacher has really stressed that by asking questions before learning material, your brain is more receptive when the answer is presented- if you haven't asked, you won't even notice the answer. I didn't connect how applicable it is to the gospel but I realize that's how Alma 42 really came to mean a lot to me- a lot of the questions that had been lingering were answered, or at least addressed. Also in 3 Nephi 17:2-3, Christ is speaking and he recognizes that the people can't understand, he directs them to go home, ponder, ask that ye may understand and prepare for the morrow. He didn't expect them to go home, think about it and everything would click. He wanted them to ask for understanding as a means of preparation.

Mishel said...

(cont.)
Chris, you made a lot of points that make sense and I almost don’t want to comment because I feel like you’ve probably already thought about any point I could bring up. Your paragraph about Satan and how some people may be more heavily concentrated upon- God is more powerful than Satan. 1 Corinthians 10:13:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

This, and so many other things in the world and church, have so many connections with other things, and can seem contradictory. It was actually this scripture that first started my questions that lead to finding Alma 42. I can elaborate sometime, ask me in person, it’s not easily postable. I have a friend who’s biggest struggle with the gospel is trying to picture a loving God, who can turn around and destroy nations. Most of our concerns about the gospel seem to be about the justice of God, and I find a lot of peace in seeing that the same questions and struggles were fought thousands of years ago- it’s not new, and if we can learn from them we don’t have to repeat the same things from scratch. Alma 41 starts “…some have wrested [or perverted] the scriptures, and have gone far astray because of this thing.” It’s always hurt me to see people who have dove into the scriptures, but have searched for the errors, usually errors of the men who have written them (even inspired men make mistakes), and gone astray because of something written there- , this chapter continues talking about the restoration and is comforting. And then chapter 42:1 is Alma addressing the same concern that I think your post focused on, and has been a struggle in understanding for me, “concerning the justice of God in the punishment of the sinner”. The scriptures are incredible.

I’m sorry if some of this is vague, but I also think we overcomplicate things. We read a lot about small and simple things, but there’s so much going on that we get distracted. I have more that I’d really like to touch on, but it will have to be another time- thanks for posting, reading, and giving me the opportunity to think about things.

There's always some questions, but we know that the Lord loves us, everyone of his children. We see several occasions in the scriptures where the Lord blesses people one by one, his work and his glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, I don't fully understand the how behind it, but all things will be done in mercy and justice. He wants us to succeed, but we have to do our part.

Chris, you're great. I love you and am grateful that you married my fabulous sister.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Chris said...

Thank you so much for that beautifully written and insightful comment Michelle. I really appreciate you taking the time to weigh in. That was a perfect contribution to the discussion. I'm so impressed with you. It's been cool seeing you become the articulate intellectual you are today from the little sister I knew back when Shannon and I would hang in High School. I look forward to reading through the scriptures you cited. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I think we have all had questions along these lines at some point or other. You raise many questions, which, as you know, I have ALL the answers to. You need look no further than me, my friend. However, in my limited time, I will only grace you with a few of my inspired thoughts.

Point #1: The Judgment of God
I have recently been reminded, through Parley's current obsession with Greek Mythology, that the traditional Christian concept of Hell as a place in which wicked souls are punished with unimaginable cruelty throughout eternity for their sins actually has Greek origins, and can be directly traced back to the Greek myth of Tartarus, a section of Hades. We continue with this idea today that when we meet God in the afterlife to be judged, it is with the intent that we will finally "get what's coming to us", whether good or bad. With that kind of mentality, it is, of course, impossible, for us to figure out where you draw the line between a "good" person, i.e. one deserving of reward, and a "bad" person, i.e.one deserving of punishment. We all know that everyone has good and bad in them. What if a person raped and murdered and robbed for the first thirty years of their life, and then saw the light and changed their ways, and spent the remaining fifty years of their life doing good and living selflessly? How many good deeds would they have to do in order to overcome the bad deeds? That's an Egyptian concept, too, actually, the "weighing of the heart"--does your heart come out more good than bad?

Obviously, this system has many flaws. There is no black and white answer. As you have said, the people who commit some of the most atrocious sins in the world are those who have suffered the most. How could they possibly be judged with the same criteria as someone who was raised in a loving affluent situation with little or no negative influences?

The interesting thing about LDS theology here is that there are so many "kingdoms" or degrees. We are told of four for certain, Telestial, Terrestrial, Celestial, and Outer Darkness, and we are also told that each of these kingdoms has many levels within it. Of the four, only one level, Outer Darkness, is really defined as a place of punishment, and it is restricted only to those who basically reached all the way to the top level of spirituality--perfect knowledge, you might say-- and then turned their back on it and betrayed God. Not even Hitler will be in Outer Darkness.

My point here is, to use an analogy you mentioned, that I see the judgment much like an academic placement test. Not a test that is Pass/Fail, but one designed to put us in the class that is appropriate to our current level of understanding and will lead to our continuing progress (yes, this is assuming that we can still learn and progress spiritually after we die). I don't know how far we actually will be able to progress, maybe our choices made in this world will limit us to a certain degree, but I think that whatever degree God decides we are ready for will be one that will be appropriate to us. We will not be miserable and suffering, except perhaps in the knowledge of what we are missing out on. I once had someone theorize that you will get the afterlife that you want: If you live the kind of life that is centered around selfish carnality and momentary pleasure, that is the kind of afterlife you will get. Not necessarily a punishment in itself, but you will be missing out on the lasting joy and happiness that selflessness and long-term meaningful relationships would bring. Still, by choosing to live that kind of life, you are not emotionally or spiritually prepared for the better after-lifestyle (: you might otherwise have known.

OK, there's my two bits. I had some other points, but I've gone on long enough.

Chris said...

Thanks Robin. I wonder if that Greek concept of hell just attached itself to Christianity because of the whole Roman Hellenistic culture that it eventually flourished in. I know Christ mentions something about a place where the fire is never quenched or something but it seems Christ prefered to communicate ideas through metaphors. Also I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was more emphasized by scribes over the decades who thought that it would be a helpful addition to Christ's message.

I personally like to think of right and wrong decisions being about knowledge and ignorance and God's commandments being about wisdom rather than just obedience. This seems more appropriate for a fatherly God (even though loving fathers also want obedience).

I think it is very cool how in Mormonism we speak of having the goal to achieve perfect knowledge. This seems to be very unique in Christianity (almost Eastern).

This would mean that we see perfect knowledge or perfect goodness as being something independent of God that God has learned himself and conformed to as opposed to having a God that defines goodness based on whatever he commands.

It almost seems like the cruel hell is something that people need when they feel totally powerless. If someone kills your loved ones it's easier to go on knowing that even though you have no power to see justice done God will make sure it is carried out.

But our God seems to be in favor of rehab which is a pretty Liberal idea. A placement test is a good way to decide what your current level of knowledge is but the goal still exists to keep progressing after that. It's hard to understand why someone who has achieved a certain level of knowledge (even if it was slowly)should be denied progressing further.

Robin said...

Spiritual rehab! I like that idea!

Yes, the idea of perfect knowledge does sound kind of Nirvana-esque, doesn't it? There actually is quite a bit of Greek influence on the Catholic church, mainly by a school of thought called Gnosticism, which contributed a large amount to the early Christian church's fall into apostasy. You might be interested in reading "Mormonism and Early Christianity" by Hugh Nibley.

In reference to your comment about God abiding by certain laws, read D&C 130:18-20:
18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
20 There is a a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

This seems to go along with your idea that there are certain laws that God has to abide by. Of course this whole discussion leads into the concept of justice and mercy (God would like to be merciful but is bound by the demands of justice. Christ's atonement allows both justice and mercy to be satisfied.)

I think you are right about people getting a certain satisfaction from thinking that sinners will get punished after they die, if not in this life. It's not very Christlike, but it's probably true!

doug said...

First, I can't believe that comment from "Michelle" was written by Shannon's sister Michelle! I feel like she couldn't have been older than 8 the last time I saw her! Wow!

But anyway, Chris, this is a brilliant post and I have very little to offer by way of response or insight. These dilemmas you pose are exactly the dilemmas that come from humans trying to conceive of God. How can he be fair and just but also emotionally involved with each of us? How can any of us be bad when most of us are really just fumbling toward what we think is, ultimately, good? My only guess is that, in the end, God's judgment really comes from him stepping back and allowing us to judge ourselves. Once we die and we see a bigger picture, we will probably recognize times when our motivations were pride or greed or fear rather than love or hope. And even if our mortal minds felt OK about what we were up to, our souls will recognize those shortcomings and we'll torture ourselves long and hard. Maybe God's judgment is really just him stepping back and letting us torment ourselves. And that's why both grace and good works are important: We WILL suffer for the times we were motivated by evil, but even as we torture ourselves God is standing by ready to dole out the grace that says, "Hey, it's OK - you were human."