What's the difference between a 12" pizza and an artist?
... The pizza can feed a family.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Total Money Makeover

My big, fat disclaimer: If you’ve read my previous post, Mirror mirror on the wall…, then you know my feelings on arrogance. So let me just say that this post is in no way an attempt to brag or toot my own horn. If you’re going to take it that way then please stop reading now. I know that money is viewed as a very off limit topic among family and friends, but I feel that the more open we are about the subject the better off we’ll be. (At least that’s what Suze Orman told me.) So at the risk of committing a huge social faux pa, I’m going to talk about money.

For the first time in our married lives, Chris and I are out of debt!!!! (…except for our mortgage…)

This was our new year’s resolution at the beginning of 2008 after we received a copy of Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover from Chris’s brother, Dan, who had read it and was already in the process of his own money makeover. We had accumulated a lot of debt in our first few years of marriage due mostly to student loans, two hospital stays from two unplanned births, a car payment, and the occasional frivolous spending. We thought we were doing everything we could to pay off our debt and were pretty much just planning to trudge along, trying not to accumulate more debt, until we eventually paid everything off. That was before we read this book. I don’t want to sound like I’m doing a paid advertisement for Dave Ramsey so let me just sum it up by saying that we were really inspired by his book and motivated to take action. So instead of just trudging along, we decided to attack our debt with all of our energy, time, resources etc.

Here’s what we did:

1. We refined our budget. We had always had one, but it was never very accurate. We would keep track of our spending and itemize it into categorize, but we never held ourselves accountable for when we went over budget. We just figured it would all work itself out. So the first thing we did was create a budget that changes month to month depending on the income we earned the previous month. If we go over in an area we have to take the money from somewhere else.

2. We both looked for ways to earn extra money. Chris took on extra projects and freelance work. I would work extra shifts whenever Chris had a day off and could be with the kids. I also started babysitting kids on my days off. This has turned out surprisingly profitable for us. I’ve even cleaned people’s homes and taken care of their pets. I’ll pretty much do anything that’s not immoral for money. Keep that in mind, people. :) This money was all considered “bonus money” and would go directly to our debt. Chris’s work bonus, our tax return, birthday money, and our “economic stimulus” money all went to paying off our debt.

3. We did our best to keep spending to a minimum. I’m constantly looking for deals on Craig’s List or KSL for the kid’s clothes or things we need around the house. We tried to only go out once a month. We got rid or our cell phones and now just use prepaid minutes as sparingly as possible. We even sold our second car and put the money towards... you guessed it. (This was not as big of a sacrifice as it sounds because it had actually broken down a year before and when we had an opportunity to get a little money from it rather than pay to get it fixed that’s what we did.) At first it was hard, but I’m to the point now where it’s harder to buy something because I find I get more satisfaction watching my debt decrease and our emergency fund increase than I do when I buy a nonessential. We did not live like monks this year, there is a lot more we could have done if we had wanted to pay it off faster, but for the amount of debt we had we felt like a year was a realistic and moderate goal.

It feels so good to be out of debt. It has really changed the way that we look at money and material possessions. We appreciate what we have so much more now because it’s ours. I would much rather buy something that I can afford than borrow money and pay interest on something nicer, newer, smaller, bigger, faster, fancier, etc. I feel like that’s living a lie. Almost anyone can go finance a nice new car if they’re willing to pay an outrageous interest rate and monthly payment but few people could go pay a few thousand dollars cash to buy a used Toyota corolla. And the sad thing is that in our society when you see them side by side the person in the nicer car (clothes, home, etc.) is often the one that gets your respect and admiration.

Again, the purpose of this post is not to give ourselves a pat on the back for actually following through on a new year's resolution. (Even if it is the first time in my life) It's to let any of you who may be facing the same challenge know that it is possible to get out of debt and that it feels really great. So best of luck to you if you're going to take this on, I know that you will be blessed. Let me know if we can help in any way or if you'd like to borrow Dave Ramsey's book.

Now will 2009 be the year that I finally lose weight?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congraulations, you two! What an accomplishment! Thanks for posting this. What a great example you are to many people. Happy year 2009!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I would LOVE to be out of debt. I dont even have a really good excuse for being in debt..well, except grad school, which cost me over 40,000! I am going to go out and buy that book TOMMORROW!! You are my inspiration. Keep blogging about stuff like this:) And don't apoligize, you deserve one hell of pat on the back!

Melissa said...

Yay for you! I am so proud of you. Ivan has been trying to talk me into joining the Dave bandwagon for some time...he wanted to get me tickets to go see him last may, but since I was only a few weeks away from giving birth, I put my foot down. Look at you guys, changing changing! Vegetarian, out of debt, if you keep this up then seeing you every 6 months isn't going to work anymore-you'll be completely different people and we'll have nothing to talk about. But really, you are doing so amazing, and doing financially what I can't, so I am so proud. (Thank goodness i have a hubby who can, maybe one day I'll see the light.) Finances can be difficult for some (and I'm definitely some) so I think you have every right to talk it up, you guys are awesome, what a great way to start a new year.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm assuming that you're not talking about OUR family as the one that doesn't talk about money, because they are WAY open about that, especially compared to Andrew's. And secondly, WOO-HOO for you!! We've been extremely blessed in being able to avoid going into prolonged debt. Although we have put a few things on credit before, thanks to Andrew's incredible money management skills, we have paid them off very quickly. Now all we have is our mortgage and Andrew's student loan. We're working on that second one. Our whole economy revolves around debt and credit now, and look where that has gotten our country. Maybe Obama should make Dave Ramsey a part of his cabinet!

Lyssa said...

Congrats you guys! I'm proud of you. I would love to get out of debt. That's the plan here in Qatar since we don't have to pay rent or taxes. I think we could definitely benefit from the book. I wonder if they have it here...

railroader921 said...

BABY STEP THREE! YES YES YES YES! You have changed your family tree guys! If I had had the tools that you two have when Tiff and I were younger, well you know, life is going to really start paying off for you guys and the sky is the limit! Stay on the baby steps! My love to you and your family!

doug said...

Congratulations! I am extremely impressed - especially because I have been going around the last couple of weeks feeling so smug because I just paid off my debt for the first time since college. And I've had no births, no children to clothe and feed, no mortgage, no student loans, no wedding to pay for... What you've done is remarkable, and I would hope you'd brag a little about it! You've earned it!

Ivan said...

I have to say thank you. Melissa is now committed to reading the book with me. I was thinking of just getting some tickets to the live event but now I can save some more money and just do the book. I've been kind of a finance guy for the last ten years or so. Reading from Suze Orman and others, but Dave smashes all of them. I know Melissa will be motivated by the book because Dave actually motivates and doesn't really use guilt or anything like that. Anyways, props to you guys.

Melissa said...

Yeah, don't be so optimistic, Ivan. But I will try...

Andrew Lambert said...

I read this post a few weeks ago and didn't comment, but I wanted to say "congratulations guys," that's awesome! I remember when Robin and I first paid off all of our debt a few years back (except our mortgage). It felt so great. Of course, then I decided to go back to school and finance it with some student loans. I am seriously considering enrolling in Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University." I want to get my finances in order and be prepared for the future. It's so important.